Duration: 1st September – 30th September
Number of books: 26
Hosted by: Crazy Challenge Connection
Slow Cooker Skinny Orange Chicken
Makes 4-6 servings
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. orange juice concentrate
2 T. tomato paste
* Read a book with a predominantly orange OR red cover (show us the cover) – or – read a book that you really had to concentrate on (such as non-fiction, a complicated new world, lots of names to remember, etc.).
A Song for Summer by Eva Ibbotson
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 T. orange zest
dash cayenne pepper
* Read a book with a character with a sassy or spicy attitude – or – read a book with a “Z” somewhere in the title or the author’s name.
salt to taste
brown or white rice, cooked
sesame seeds optional
Add cubed chicken to a bag, add cornstarch, toss to coat. Put chicken in slow cooker.
In a separate bowl add soy sauce, orange juice concentrate, tomato paste, chicken broth, honey, garlic, ginger, orange zest, pepper, and salt. Stir together until combined. Pour over chicken in slow cooker. Either refrigerate until ready to cook, or begin cooking.
* Read a book whose title starts with a letter in SLOW (disregard A, An, The) – or – read a book set in a cold climate (tell us where).
Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
Slow cook on high 4 hours or on low 6-8 hours.
* Read a book with a 4 in the original publication YEAR (tell us the year) – or – read a book with at least 2 EVEN numbers in the total number of pages (tell us how many).
The Gypsy Crown by Kate Forsyth
After cooking time, stir and check for consistency. If the sauce is too thin, make a slurry by mixing about a tablespoon of cornstarch with about 1/4 cup water. Add slurry to the sauce and continue cooking for about 20 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add chicken broth, orange juice, or water until you get desired consistency.
Serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
* Add a recipe to any of the threads in our Recipe Collection and post the link here. Your recipe just might be chosen as our featured recipe sometime in the future.